Friday, April 8, 2011

Journal 13: how could i live without my combination hot dog cooker and bun warmer?

Everything was invented at one point. The most amazing ones are the ones you couldn’t go through life without.

My first invention is a lightbulb. No big surprise here. Light allows everything to operate. Light is what is lighting up my laptop screen and light is what is allowing me to finish this into the we hours of the morning. Without it we would all still be petty farmers.

The second is DVDs. Nothing comes close to describing the agony of watching through VHS previews over and over until I could finally watch Space Jam. DVDs solved all the problems by adding menus and made everything easier to operate.

Third is the microwave. Where would I be without it? Starving, I’m sure. And I would be healthier too. But every now and then, you gotta break down and have a Hot Pocket, which couldn’t exist without the microwave.

I’m sure music has been around since the dawn of time but whoever designed up this little number, commonly called a guitar, was a genius. Complicated but rewarding, the guitar has secured its place in the invention Hall of Fame.

Less essential to many is Photoshop. I couldn’t do without it. Everything I do, from taking pictures, to drawing comics, to even creating that picture grid was done with Photoshop. Why deal with reality when I can just alter it in this marvelous piece of picture editing software?

When we eventually transferred from rocks over to pillows I’m sure someone, somewhere got rewarded big time. Nothing compares to the feeling of lying your head on a pillow after a long day of work.

Although the iPhone is amazing, the invention I chose for slot number seven is just a cellphone. Had you told someone 50 years ago that you would be able to contact anyone from anywhere with a click of a button, they would have said, “What?” because they couldn’t hear you because they didn’t have 3G coverage like we do now.

The refrigerator is a modern miracle all itself. Someone told me at some point how it works but it is still baffling. We have come a long way from a hole in the ground.

What did people do before the internet? They probably had far more interesting arguments. With the internet’s infinite knowledge at your fingertips at any time of the day, it has never been easier to fact check things your friends say immediately.

My final invention is the Nintendo 64. While I don’t use it quite so much anymore, this game system was a huge part of my childhood and I credit it with how I turned out today. I definitely deserves a spot on my Top 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment